- Storage operations, including cold migration, Storage vMotion, and cloning of a virtual machine fails when using vCenter Server 5.0 and managing ESXi/ESX 4.x hosts>
Note: The above storage operations failing, has been reported to occur at different stages, for example: 99%, 85%.
- You see the error:
A general system error occurred: Configuration information is inaccessible.
Possible scenarios to consider:
- Cloning an IDE disk virtual machine to the same ESXi/ESX 4.x host with Change Block Tracking (CBT) enabled fails.
- Cloning an IDE disk virtual machine from ESXi/ESX 4.x host to ESXi 5.0 host with CBT enabled is successful.
- Cloning a SCSI disk virtual machine from ESXi/ESX 4.x host to another ESXi/ESX 4.x host is successful.
This article only applies if all of these statements are true:
- The virtual machine in question uses IDE disks and Change Block Tracking (also referred to as CTK)
- vCenter Server version is 5.0 or higher
- The virtual machine is on an ESXi/ESX 4.x host
To disable CBT in the configuration (
- Power off the virtual machine.
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Click the Options tab, then click General.
- Click Configuration Parameters.
- Locate the values below for the IDE disk, and set the values to
ide0:0.ctkEnabled = "TRUE"
ctkEnabled = "TRUE"
- Click OK then OK again.
- Power on the virtual machine and retry the clone operation.
Note: If the issue persists, power off the virtual machine and remove it from the inventory, then add the virtual machine back into inventory for the change to take effect.